Listen Live Follow Us On:
For Email Marketing you can trust


Funding for Pangborn Aiport Runway Project Finalized

September 13, 2013

Well it’s an ongoing issue here in Chelan and Douglas counties, but progress continues to move forward with the Pangborn Memorial Airport. Funding for the $25 million dollar runway project has been mostly secured. Utility and infrastructure work should begin next year, with the full completion date sometime in early 2016.

Commissioners from the ports of Chelan and Douglas counties Wednesday agreed to accept a $9.9 million federal grant. The money is a first installment on a 3-year plan to lengthen the runway.

Airport director Trent Moyer said in July officials applied for about $25.7 million dollars in funding from the Federal Aviation Administration for full competition of the project.

Moyer said the FAA is providing the funding in stages, hence the forthcoming $10 million, but when everything is said and done the administration will have paid for 90 percent of the project. The Ports of Chelan and Douglas counties will pay for the remaining 10 percent and Moyer said they have already set up the financing for that.

Once the remaining properties near Grant Road and Union Avenue have been purchased, construction to realign those roads intersections should begin in the spring of next year. Runway and taxiway extensions should happen in 2015, with the final touches going in at the start of 2016.